Twitter is largely an open conversation between consumers, journalists, brands, and bots which can be a bit intimidating when looking to use the social network for your El Paso social media marketing campaigns.
To make things a little easier we recommend using the tool Rite Tag to help decide what hashtags you should focus on first. Rite Tag tracks the volume of tweets in a hashtag and breaks down a rating on each one telling you; if there is too much activity in a hashtag, if there is a lot of activity and your tweet could be seen, if there is moderate levels of activity over time, or if there is little to no activity in the hashtag.
The hashtag search and data is free to obtain, though Rite Tag does offer a paid solution as well. To get started load their tool up (go to ritetag.com) in another browser window and follow these steps.
1. Locate the search box in the upper left-hand corner of the screen.
2. Type in your search query in the box labeled search. Since you’re looking for a hashtag DO NOT enter a keyword with spaces. For example El Paso should be written as ElPaso in this box.
3. You’ll notice a drop down box next to the search box with 2 options; ‘By Name’ and ‘By Topic’. Try a search with both of these starting with By Name.
4. When you search using ‘By Name’ you’ll get a list of hashtags that contain your search query “elpaso”. That list should look something like the image below. In this search Rite Tag recommends using #ElPaso, #ElPasoTX, and #ElPasoJobs but does not recommend hashtags #ComeToElPaso, #CafeCentralElPaso, or #AlexFromElPaso.
5. When you search “By Topic” you’ll get a much different screen with different hashtags and data visualizations. This page shows us other hashtags, or topics, that are commonly used with the hashtag that exactly matches our search query of “elpaso” or #ElPaso. If you scroll down the page slightly you’ll see this data visualized with a web chart connecting the hashtags in degrees of frequency with each other. This data is useful in determining what topics people are talking about on the #ElPaso hashtag to help you better engage with your customers.
The most topically related hashtags in this instance are; #Traffic, #CareerArc, #Sales, and #TX
Once you know the hashtags to use this information can be utilized to help create content, develop strategy, an write tweets to target your local El Paso audience.
Following the above guide and using the Rite Tag tool will really help your El Paso Texas business get noticed on Twitter and drive more engagement. Watch the full How To video from our sister web series, Tool Highlight Tuesday on Rite Tag here: